Setup Menus in Admin Panel

Certifications Forums Traits of a great assistant coach? Reply To: Traits of a great assistant coach?

Reply To: Traits of a great assistant coach?

Certifications Forums Traits of a great assistant coach? Reply To: Traits of a great assistant coach?

Anonymous
Inactive

What I look for:

1) Loyalty

2) Smart – Tough minded people that will challenge me behind a closed door. I do not just want “yes” people – I want to stimulate new ideas and always want a “better mousetrap.” One of the most important items is to have these types of discussions behind a closed door and once we all leave – we are “on the same page.”

3) Coaches that compliment my strengths and weaknesses – for example Gio was an outstanding blocking coach and I learned so much about blocking from him. Aldi was great on teaching and explaining individual defense, etc.

4) Every staff needs to divide up all technical and tactical segments – skills – serving, passing, setting (overhand passing), attacking, blocking, individual defense; tactics – offense, defense, transition, blocking systems, serving tactics; etc. Which coach is responsible for each one of these.

5) Fitting people into the proper job descriptions – my goal – always “maximize strengths and minimize weaknesses.” For example – what are the strengths of John Landicho – how can these fit in to helping my program.
Also, I would ask “what do you want to learn or get better at”? Then I would make sure that you have an opportunity to learn those skills, tactics, administration (office work- etc.), marketing, recruiting, etc.

6) Match assignments – who does what in matches – very important

7) Ability to laugh and have a good time – I want a positive staff environment – we have a good time. We work hard, can laugh at ourselves and also know what are the top priorities in life – family, value system, health, friends, etc.

Warmest regards,

Terry Liskevych